The "Michail N. Stassinopoulos-Viohalco Public Benefit Foundation" (herein referred to as The Foundation) was established in 1969 by two companies "Viohalco S.A." and "Viohalco Cables S.A."
The Foundation's headquarters are located in Athens, but all the activities take place at the Cultural Center of Stadio, Tegea, 6 km south of Tripolis.
Michail N. Stassinopoulos was born in Stadio in 1899. He studied Chemistry at the University of Athens and started his working career in commerce, following his father's footsteps. He later entered the industrial sector and took over the "Hellenic Copper Industry S.A. in 1953. He renamed it "VIOHALCO S.A." and turned it into one of the most significant Greek industries. He was the perfect example of a self-made entrepreneur.
Michail N. Stassinopoulos passed away in 1964, and his widow, Marianthi, and their two sons, Nikos and Evangelos, established the Foundation in his memory.
The Foundation's mission is to promote local culture and provide further education to the people of Tegea.
The Foundation is governed by a seven-member Board of Directors, two of whom are life-long members. Marianthi Stassinopoulos was its first President until her death in 1997.
The logo of the Foundation represents an 11-radius circle and is a copy of a seal from the post-geometrical period. It was discovered in the Altar of Alea Athena in Tegea and is currently exhibited at the Panarcadic Archaeological Museum of Tripolis.